Table of Contents
- 1. Everything’s Not Lost by Coldplay
- 2. Peace Piece by Bill Evans
- 3. Invisible by Hunter Hayes
- 4. Your Guardian Angel by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
- 5. Breathe Me by Sia
- 6. I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab For A Cutie
- 7. Bigger Than Love by My Favorite Highway
- 8. Brave by Sara Bareilles
- 9. Walk Around by Ghostface Killah
- 10. XO Tour Life by Lil Uzi Vert
- 11. Lithium by Nirvana
- 12. Missing You by All Time Low
- 13. Let It Go by Idina Menzel
- 14. Be Ok by Ingrid Michaelson
- 15. Unwell by Matchbox 20
- 16. Skyscraper by Demi Lovato
- 17. Better Place by Rachel Platten
- 18. Two Birds, One Stone by Drake
- 19. Lullaby by Kemuri
- 20. 1-800-273-8255 by Logic, Alessia Cara, and DJ Khalid
- 21. By Your Side by Sade
- 22. Let it Be by The Beatles
- 23. Sleepwalking by Bring Me The Horizon
- 24. Use Me by Future
- 25. Last Hope by Paramore
- 26. Breathe by Telepopmusik
- 27. So Small by Carrie Underwood
- 28. Wounds by Kid Cudi
- 29. Watermark by Enya
- 30. Eye of the Storm by Ryan Stevenson
- 31. Sole Survivor by Underworld
- 32. By Your Side by Tenth Avenue North
- 33. Strong Enough by Sheryl Crow
- 34. Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
- 35. Give Me Love by Ed Sheeran
- 36. Bootcamp by Soundgarden
- 37. Just Say Yes by Snow Patrol
- 38. I Want To Be Well by Sufjan Stevens
- 39. Everlong by Foo Fighters (Acoustic Version!)
- 40. Leave Out All The Rest by Linkin Park
- 41. First Time by Lifehouse
- 42. Ordinary Girl by Rebelution
- 43. Gravity by John Mayer
- 44. Screen by Twentyone Pilots
- 45. 24/7 by Kehlani
- 46. Heavy by Kiiara
Music is a human and earthly gift that many anxiety-ridden individuals “use” to find relief. Sound therapy relaxes and restores us in so many aspects of our lives. Music reduces stress and can provide serene-like feelings, an escape from what bothers you or stresses you out.
Not only is anxiety and stress uncomfortable, but it’s also damaging to your health. Heart disease, obesity, depression, gastrointestinal problems, asthma, and other medical conditions can result from stress. These conditions alone give reason to finding a stress reliever- be it an hour in a spa each month or the best anxiety-relieving music playlist that you play on repeat.
Researching songs about anxiety lyrics brought me to an array of different genres and generations of music. Putting together a playlist of 46 songs, I can probably listen to these songs over and over again when I feel anxious, worried, and sad. From Drake to Bill Evans, Disney soundtracks or Bring Me the Horizon, there is a song tailored to how you’re feeling and what you need to hear. Below is 46 songs on my new anxiety playlist, and I hope you find love and relief by listening to at least one of them.
1. Everything’s Not Lost by Coldplay
I’ve always liked Coldplay because I felt their emotional connection to every human. His lovely voice reflects a message that we can all relate to.
2. Peace Piece by Bill Evans
Said to be the sound of serenity, Bill Evans blessed our ears with an original sound of healing, relaxation, and tranquility.
3. Invisible by Hunter Hayes
Not a sad song about anxiety, but the words are very touching. Not a huge “country” music fan, Hayes stole my heart in this one. His message is about confidence and strength, promising that “every heart has a rhythm.” To me, this says we are all worthy and capable, never give up.
4. Your Guardian Angel by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
This song brings me back to middle school, and I bet many people can relate. At a time of vulnerability, naivety, being bullied, and not sure of who I was- I found myself in the lyrics of this song. Every single verse is a promise that you’re NOT alone. This beautiful song about anxiety and depression has kept a lot of people healthy, and I am always happy to share it.
5. Breathe Me by Sia
Sia is an incredible artist whose lyrics and video address many issues, especially mental illness. This song approaches the truth about depression and anxiety, the hard truth. Submerging yourself into Sia’s music is another beautiful way to relieve stress and feelings of anxiety, loneliness, and sadness. I’ve always felt that sad songs about anxiety are truly the way to escaping it, because you find others are relating to you, too.
6. I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab For A Cutie
7. Bigger Than Love by My Favorite Highway
If you’re looking for motivation, this is the song for you. The lyrics “If there’s a hole in your heart/ You gotta pull it together/ It takes the courage to start/ But now is better than never/ It takes a push and a shove/ Somehow it’s never enough/ And it’s alarming how quick you could forget that” is the “push” to go to work each day, or the gym, or sometimes just to the bank. You can do this!
8. Brave by Sara Bareilles
What an incredible (Disney!) song about confidence, beauty, and bravery.
9. Walk Around by Ghostface Killah
Even hip-hop artists suffer anxiety, actually many famous people do. But often our beloved hip hop artists are all glim and glam, so hearing our artist speak about their feelings of anxiety is still very relatable. You’ll never know unless you listen.
10. XO Tour Life by Lil Uzi Vert
Not my cup of tea, but it is for many people.
11. Lithium by Nirvana
Do I have to say anything? Yes? Fine, listen to his words. Get movin’!
12. Missing You by All Time Low
Another sad song about anxiety, but often we need a good cry.
13. Let It Go by Idina Menzel
Get all your problems out of your mind.
14. Be Ok by Ingrid Michaelson
This peppy song is the perfect wake-me-up song. Waking up in an anxious mood is common, so throw on Ingrid Michaelson’s “Be Ok” and be ok!
15. Unwell by Matchbox 20
Another song about the battle of depression and anxiety, the message I receive from this song is the deep-rest needed for anxiety. When we become enveloped by our stress, a relaxing escape is necessary. We feel not ourselves when anxious and depressed, and we’re not exactly ourselves. Find tranquility, find the way to being and feeling well.
16. Skyscraper by Demi Lovato
Tears. Confidence and more tears.
17. Better Place by Rachel Platten
18. Two Birds, One Stone by Drake
19. Lullaby by Kemuri
This song is a nice old school sounding song, a mix of Sublime and something else. It’s very relaxing and enjoyable for our nerves. They have a whole album about emotions!
20. 1-800-273-8255 by Logic, Alessia Cara, and DJ Khalid
I have to admit, I didn’t like this song until I READ the lyrics. It’s a really sad song about anxiety and depression, and especially the suicidal feelings many individuals suffer from. This song is not only to help you relate to others, it is help and an answer.
21. By Your Side by Sade
Beautiful voice and lyrics, Sade sings love songs about anxiety. If you have a lover and also suffer anxiety, listen to this song.
22. Let it Be by The Beatles
You have no control, put your troubles in God’s hands (or Mother Mary)
23. Sleepwalking by Bring Me The Horizon
24. Use Me by Future
Good for family men and women, watch the video, too.
25. Last Hope by Paramore
26. Breathe by Telepopmusik
I’m forever grateful for this song; I genuinely believe it saved my life. It helped me believe I could get through the hardest times of my life, and I did.
27. So Small by Carrie Underwood
28. Wounds by Kid Cudi
Cudi recently told his Facebook followers that he was suffering and in treatment for depression. Cudi’s music is heavenly and realistic, all in a mix. I hope and believe you can find relief in any of his songs, especially Wounds.
29. Watermark by Enya
30. Eye of the Storm by Ryan Stevenson
31. Sole Survivor by Underworld
Oldie but goodie.
32. By Your Side by Tenth Avenue North
Found this song when searching Sade’s song, best accidental click ever!
33. Strong Enough by Sheryl Crow
34. Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
Another life-changing, moving song for anxiety and depression.
35. Give Me Love by Ed Sheeran
36. Bootcamp by Soundgarden
37. Just Say Yes by Snow Patrol
Another lovely long song for anxiety, by Snow Patrol.
38. I Want To Be Well by Sufjan Stevens
Another wake-me-up, this fun song can help you dance your stress away.
39. Everlong by Foo Fighters (Acoustic Version!)
If this song melts your heart in its original sounds, wait until you hear the acoustic version.
With the loss of dear Chester, emerge yourself in his beautiful lyrics. Know people care, love you, and are here for you. Please seek help if you feel lost, sad, or very depressed.
41. First Time by Lifehouse
42. Ordinary Girl by Rebelution
43. Gravity by John Mayer
A lyrical genius.
44. Screen by Twentyone Pilots
45. 24/7 by Kehlani
Because we all need upbeat music telling us it’s ok to be where we are, who we are, and feel how we feel.
46. Heavy by Kiiara
Written and dedicated to Chester, this final song on the playlist is why music can be an escape from anxiety.
Hopefully, you find relief in these songs, lyrics, and instrumentals. Know that you’re not alone in the battle with anxiety, and sometimes music can be a wonderful treatment.